Dishin' With Daphne

A place for the international performing sensation Daphne Ruth Jenkins to spew her earth-shattering revelations regarding life, love, family and fame.

Monday, October 15, 2007

The Magnificent Marquise

(The multi-talented Marquise doing her best Marilyn impression.)


I was recently doing my usual 2am drunk surfing on the web routine when I stumbled upon the most delightful surprise over on YouTube. I came across a charming Canadian queen by the name of Marquise who immediately struck me as a long-lost relative of the Jenkins clan. After watching a few of her videos, I simply had to send her some love. We hit it off instantly. I simply had to share this latest discovery with my friends and fans.



Daphne: Marquise, you're just fabulous gurl! Where have you been hiding? I know everyone out there is dying to know where you hang your hat.


Marquise: I perform in several clubs in Montreal and a few places that would surprise you! I began performing at Cabaret Mado which is Montreal's most reputable drag bar, owned by none other than Mado herself. I also perform at Skye Club on occassion; this year I'm running for Miss Skye 2007... I hope to end world hunger and cure metrosexuality! *Laughs* However, the real joy for me is performing in places other than "gay bars." I find there's a certain thrill to doing a drag number in front of a bunch of straight men... What can i say, I live dangerously. That being said, in the summer I host a Karaoke night at a local bar called "Clydes." Its as much of a dive as its name leads you to believe!



Daphne: Straight guys...dive bars...you are an honorary Jenkins. Damn, you sound like one busy betch! How did your illustrious drag career get started?

Marquise: I've been doing drag since I was 16 years old... Well in all honesty, I've been doing drag since I was three years old. Wasn't getting paid for it then! I used to put on my best friend's princes dress and run around the neighborhood as various fairytale characters. Now I mostly run around the village chasing fairies' tails! *Sighs at his own terrible pun.* There's also this adorable picture of me at the age of three with my aunts fur boa and WAY to much blush! I look more and more like her everyday!

Daph: Well, clearly you were born to be a diva. What gets your juices flowing in order to motivate you to keep bringing it time after time for your fans?


Marquise: Inspiration comes to me from every direction, and I mean that quite literally! In order to come up with an idea or a number I pull from all sorts of different mediums: movies, books, videogames, television, celebrities, music... Often, I'll emulate a character and ask myself, what would she be like if she were a drag queen? My main character, Marquise, is a compilation of my favourite female heroines... Most notably are Marie-Antoinette and Becky Sharp from William Makepeace Thackery's Vanity Fair. But as you've witnessed in my video's I also do a lot with disney movies! Nothing like corrupting the innocent! Currently I'm working on a number/look inspired by the video game series Kingdom Hearts. I must confess, this look is for a very special boy. Who knows, maybe it will make the tabloids!



Daph: Ooooh, I love a little dirty laundry. We'll have to continue that conversation off-line. For now, let's take a quick break and watch one of your videos. This one is absolutely pee-inducing!





Daph: Honey, I just love that number. Pure genuis! And the fact that you're doing your own vocals is fierce. Okay, let's get down to the nitty gritty. Tell me about your pet peeves.

Marquise: Pet peeves? Hmmmmm! I hate short boys! I wish I was short! People are always saying crap like: Wow! Your so tall! Yeah, thanks I know! I'm 6'4" btw! I wish I was shorter. When I wear my platform heels I look like a spice girl that could kick your fucking ass! Excuse me unlady-like language, I was raised by sailors! I also hate people who aren't punctual, and shoe sizes that only go up to 10! What the hell is that? Oh, and Nicholas Cage... he disgusts me!!



Daph: One of the things that I love about you is that you have a decidedly Jenkins flair to your appearance. However, you always make it work for you and come off as radiantly beautiful. Any essential beauty tips for the gals out there?


Marquise: My essential beauty tip? *Laughs hysterically* I have so much knowledge to impart to this world... its hard to pick just one! So I'll try and do a 2 for one! Lighting and angles. Girls, avoid overhead lighting like the plague, and if ever the paparazzi try and shoot you making out with Kevin Federline, make sure they don't take the pic looking up at your chin. Otherwise you'll look like Kirstie Ally before she met Jenny!


Daph: Words to live by! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, lovely lady. And I hope all my readers out there take a few minutes to go over to YouTube to discover the myriad of other fabulous videos Marquise has posted. Don't forget to drop the little lady a love note when you do.


Smooches,
Daph

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home