Dishin' With Daphne

A place for the international performing sensation Daphne Ruth Jenkins to spew her earth-shattering revelations regarding life, love, family and fame.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

All About Alexis

Sorry that I haven't been posting much lately, folks. I've been busy getting settled in here in my new base of operations, Looseville, Kentucky.

Mid-week, I decided to treat myself to a little beauty therapy and headed over to the hot local salon, Bangs. You know it's the place to go when you see Robin Dupree working behind the counter. You'll recall that she was the fabulous diva that did the great Gladys Knight medley a few weeks back. When I entered the beauty parlor, Robin insisted that she knew me from somewhere. I explained that I'm new to town, so she couldn't possibly know me yet. However, I assured her that she will know the name Daphne Jenkins soon enough.

The highlight of my week, though, was when I finally met the Hurricane Summers. I was hanging out at The Connection on Friday night with my newfound sister, Peppa Roni Jenkins. All of a sudden I heard a booming, "Why didn't you tell me you were coming tonight, bitch?" from behind my shoulder. Hurricane had blown in to greet her old friend Peppa. Introductions were fast and furious as Hurricane needed to prepare for her next set. We weren't disappointed, though, when she serenaded Peppa with a heartfelt rendition of Tina Turner's "I Ain't Missing You".

Well, enough about my exciting life. This post is supposed to be about one of my drag idols who's been making lots of headlines of late. I'm speaking about none other than Alexis Arquette. Many times, Alexis can be overshadowed by the other members of the Arquette acting dynasty. However, she has made many important contributions to the world of cinema. "Pulp Fiction", "Last Exit To Brooklyn" and "Bride of Chucky" are just a sample of some of the fine films that have been graced by the presence of Alexis. Of course, most of us probably remember her best from her appearance in the classic documentary "Wigstock: The Movie".

Well, Alexis will be overlooked no more. Just this month, she and the rest of the Arquette clan have been presented with the American Film Institute's coveted Platinum Circle Award. This prestigious honor is bestowed upon a family whose talent and artistic achievements have made an outstanding contribution to the entertainment community. Here's a lovely shot of the Arquettes at the awards luncheon. I think Roseanna and Patricia could use a few makeup tips from their dear sister, Alexis.

Her highest profile current gig, though, has to be as a cast member of VH1's Surreal Life 6. I've made a point of catching each episode of this zany show's current season. It's a good thing that they have Alexis on the show, however, because saying that some of the current cast are C-grade celebrities would probably be a little optimistic. Other than Alexis, my personal faves are Mrs. Brady herself, Florence Henderson and Tawny Kitaen who rose to fame writhing about on the hoods of cars in Whitesnake videos. Most episodes revolve around Tawny being a b!tch to everyone in the house, disappearing into her bathroom, reappearing with a mysterious case of post nasal drip and then suddenly falling asleep in the midst of a crowded room. Flo spends most of her time looking disapprovingly at the insane antics of the other house guests.

The heart and soul of the current season is definitely Alexis. Whether producing a newscast in a sharp suit, performing the lead vocals in a battle of the bands competition, destroying the set in a vodka-fueled rage or taking on obnoxious frat boys in straight bars, she has consistently been the most entertaining personality in this incarnation of Surreal Life. VH1 is airing the season finale this evening. If you haven't caught any episodes yet, though, don't worry: VH1 is sure to air them a gazillion times over the next few weeks.

A few years back, Velma and I had the chance to see Alexis perform at Glitterdome. This was a monthly party at the site of the old Atlanta s&m/fetish club, The Chamber. Drag queens would sing live versions of 80's pop songs with a heavy metal band. Everyone who went to these parties dressed as outrageous and glamtastic as possible. We were very excited to see Alexis perform that night with the band. However, Alexis felt that her own performance was less than spectacular. To make it up to the audience, she dropped trou and demonstrated her auto fellatio talents. What an entertainer!

Smooches,
Daph

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home