Dishin' With Daphne

A place for the international performing sensation Daphne Ruth Jenkins to spew her earth-shattering revelations regarding life, love, family and fame.

Monday, February 27, 2006

She's My Sister!

(Daphne Ruth Jenkins, Niki Eaves, Linda Hand Jenkins and Concretta Block enjoying a little backroom fun.)

As if our Saturday night Jenkins jamboree at DAKS Tavern was not enough, Linda Hand and I followed that up with another performance the very next evening over at The Charlotte Eagle. Linda and I were at the point of complete exhaustion. However, we remembered the immortal words of Doris Fish and assured ourselves that earth girls never miss their cues. So, we set the spackle guns to "whore" and started the excruciating process all over again.

I'm not sure if it was the stress of doing shows two nights in a row or just the smell of poppers at the venue, but Linda had a hard time keeping down the nachos we ate for dinner. I guess I should have held her hair like a good sister, but who would have taken the delightful picture on the right? It was a retro-themed show, so Linda pulled herself together and wowed the crowd with her lewd "If You Can't Cut The Mustard" routine. She even handed out condiment packets as she sashayed around the dance floor. I'm sure they came in handy given all the wiener that crowd was probably eating later in the evening.

I was totally blown away when the host, Niki Eaves, turned the place into a disco inferno with her fierce rendition of Grace Jones's "I Need A Man". To think, I was actually rehearsing that one in the care on the way up to Charlotte. I'm glad I decided against it because honey, her costume and routine were filthy gorgeous.

Instead, I chose to do Dee-Lite's "Groove Is In The Heart". Linda had a psychedelic outfit and funky red hair that were just perfect for that song (as you can see from the super hot picture on the left). Unfortunately, I did not have time for a dress rehearsal before the show. Turns out, the wig is a little loose and proceeded fly off my head just moments into my number. Well ladies, the show must go on. So, like Linda the night before, I slapped that nest of unnatural fibers back onto my cranium and continued shaking my money maker.

At the end of the show, Niki Eaves, suggested that we all perform a wild and unrehearsed "We Are Family" for the crowd. It was a total blast sharing the stage with these powerhouse performers. I do hope to run into them again soon. Niki is scheduled to visit Hotlanta in May to hand over one of her many prestigious titles. Maybe we can get her on the Drag-O-Drama podcast while she's there.

Smooches,

Daph

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home