Dishin' With Daphne

A place for the international performing sensation Daphne Ruth Jenkins to spew her earth-shattering revelations regarding life, love, family and fame.

Monday, January 16, 2006

All Juiced Up

(It takes lots of vitamins and antioxidants to build strong draq queen bones and muscles.)

Many of my ardent fans have asked how I retain my vibrant youth and beauty despite the hectic schedule and ceaseless demands on the life of a drag superstar. Well, a gal's gotta retain some mystery. However, I will let my faithful readers in on one little secret: fresh juice. Ladies, when I joke that I'm going on a liquid diet, I'm only half kidding. Nothing keeps a gal bright-eyed and glowing from within like a shot of fresh beet juice in the morning. I kid you not. Besides, it's as easy as mixing a stiff cocktail.

Of course, it helps to have a good juicer. I highly recommend Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer. It's reasonably priced and available at your local Target (pronounced Tar-gay). Gusty Winds and Rose Petal over at My Favorite Drag Queen own one and I can tell you that it is a superior product.

Next up, you need high-quality, fresh fruits and vegetables. I prefer mine organic. The flavor can't be beat and you don't have to worry about those pesky pesticides and antibiotics. Granted, antibiotics come in handy in a pinch (just ask my sister, Pinkie). However, you don't want them in your produce, thereby building up an immunity to their medicinal effects. Luckily, we have a fantastic Farmer's Market here in Hotlanta where we take care of all our produce needs.

So for the uninitiated, here's a fabulous recipe that I call "Sweet Jenkins Juice". It's great on it's own or can be spiced up with a shot of vitamin V: vodka!

Ingredients:
  • 2 handfuls raspberries
  • 2 handfuls cranberries (just great for the urinary tract!)
  • 1 apple
  • 1/2 stalk lemongrass (trimmed and chopped)
  • 6fl oz. mineral water (still or sparkling, but I prefer San Pellegrino)
Cut the apple into pieces and use it to push the raspberries, cranberries and lemongrass through the juicer tube. This helps to get the most flavor for your brew. Then, pour the mineral water in with your fresh juice. Mix with vodka or enjoy all on its own. Just dee-lish-us!

If you have any great fruit or vegetable juices that you swear by, please let me know. I try to constantly switch things up depending on the season and what's available. Variety is the spice of life; that goes for produce as well as men.

Smooches,
Daph

2 Comments:

At January 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl,

Ya need to eat a sandwich, just ask your sisters Pinkie and Alexandria, a good wind's gonna blow ya away. Remember the flying nun, alot of your hair is bigger than her hat.

Love ya & Smooches, your cousins...
The East Point Possums

 
At January 17, 2006, Blogger Daphne Ruth Jenkins said...

Hey cute cousins,

You obviously haven't seen me since the fall. Over the winter I've eaten that sandwich along with a bag of chips AND a cookie.

Currently, I'm shopping around a new television series idea to the major networks based on Kirstie Alley's "Fat Actress"...only my show will be called "Fat Drag Queen". Honey, my season of binge is over and it's nothing but purge from here until the Summer.

Smooches,
Daph

 

Post a Comment

<< Home