Dishin' With Daphne

A place for the international performing sensation Daphne Ruth Jenkins to spew her earth-shattering revelations regarding life, love, family and fame.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Brother Boy Wins Emmy!

After years of pee-inducing guest appearances on Will and Grace, Leslie Jordan finally took home an Emmy for his portrayel of Beverley Leslie, Karen's pint-sized nemesis. During Saturday's 58th Annual Creative Arts Emmy Awards, Jordan was awarded the Guest Actor in a Comedy statuette. Talk about well-deserved recognition: Jordan was one of the few bright spots in the flagging final seasons of that once great sitcom.

My favorite Leslie Jordan role to date (and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way) is his side-splitting portrayel of Brother Boy in the camp classic,
Sordid Lives. His country queen lovin', Tammy Wynette performing, trannie is one of the most dragelicious performances ever put to celluloid. If you're one of the few unfortunate souls that has never seen this masterpiece, add it to your collection immediately.

Jordan actually created the role in the original stage production. He later appeared in another original Del Shores production, Southern Baptist Sissies. I didn't know that when I recently caught a local production of Sissies. Funny though, the entire time I sat through the play, I was thinking that the character Peanut totally reminds me of Leslie Jordan. Yes, Jordan has put his stamp on yet another unforgettable character.

If you're a fan of Sordid Lives and you get the chance to see a production of Sissies, definitely check it out. It has a little something for everyone: religion, naked boys, laughs, tears and DRAG!

Jordan has also had success as a playwright with his autobiographical one-man show, Like A Dog On Linoleum. This laugh riot production has had two runs back in my old stomping grounds of Hotlanta. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to see the show myself. However, my dear sister Peppa Roni caught the production recently over in Chicago. Apparently, she even got to meet the diminutive diva after the show. Lucky bitch!

There's more good news for Jordan fans: due to his win last weekend, he'll be on hand at the Primetime Emmy Awards this Sunday, August 27 to present an award. Congratulations Brother Boy!

Smooches,
Daph

1 Comments:

At August 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME! Congrats to him, he deserves it! I honestly didn't know he was in so much. I only knew him from Will & Grace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home