Dishin' With Daphne

A place for the international performing sensation Daphne Ruth Jenkins to spew her earth-shattering revelations regarding life, love, family and fame.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Back To Black


(Daphne Ruth Jenkins takes a bite out of one of her own delicious creme pies.)


Anyone who knows me at all won't be surprise to hear that I have a deep obsession with Amy Winehouse. The first time I heard her monster hit, "Rehab", it was like she had peered into my most personal diary entries and turned them into an infectious pop single. Her album, "Back To Black" is easily one of my favorite releases of the current decade. Interestingly, it sounds like a remnant from another time. Winehouse's sound is very white soul Dusty Springfield. However, the lyrics have a rawness that existed in Dusty's personal life, if not in her music.




Certainly, Amy's personal woes get a lot of play in the press. Luckily, the Grammy voters were able to see past the infamy and heaped much-deserved praise on this amazingly talented and admittedly troubled performer. Don't listen to the sour grapes of has-beens like Natalie Cole who scolded the Grammy voters for "rewarding bad behavoir." Sorry sister, they were rewarding the lady's craft. A little bitter that no one is rushing out to cover "Pink Cadillac" are we?


So, for my second number at Fuzion's Zombie Night I decided to attempt the title track off the album. I wanted to do Amy proud, so I went with something a little less camp and a little more high drama. My performance is clearly influenced by Ms. Winehouse's funeral-themed video for "Back To Black". However, I take it to a level of hysteria that Amy typically reserves for her tabloid escapades.










Well, I hope you enjoyed that little change of pace. Next up is the messy conclusion to this series in which Ida Claire, Holly Cost and I head to Woody's for a night cap. In the meantime, check out my home page, Down With Daphne, for a full gallery of hot pics from the night.

Smooches,
Daphne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home